Hi folks! Here’s what we’ve been up to:
English I: 1A, 1B, 4B
1. Students took a written reading check on the memoirs they have been reading. If you were absent, please answer these questions at home and give your responses to Ms. G. during class:
- Choose your favorite passage (1-3 sentences?) from the reading for today
- Copy out the passage and page number
- In a paragraph, answer the following questions:
- How does this passage relate to the memoir as a whole in terms of plot or character development?
- What about the wording of this passage stands out to you? In other terms, what writerly techniques did you admire about it?
- What about the passage made it stand out to you on a personal level? Why do you like it?
2. Next, students had about 20 minutes to silently read. Woo! It’s a gift from Ms. Garvoille to you.
3. Applying “Show not tell.” Students divided into groups based on the memoirs they are reading. Each group then created a four-square and found examples of internal monologue, reflection, flashback, and foreshadowing.
HW: Reading is due next Tuesday / Wednesday
Black Boy: Finish chapter 6
Caged Bird: Finish chapter 20
Color of Water: Finish chapter 13
Bad Boy: Finish page 100
We went to the computer lab to type our first scene of our memoirs, applied “Show not tell” techniques to our independent reading books, and began to learn dialogue punctuation rules.
Students had one last day to record their “This I Believe” essays on AudioBoo and then paste the link into their Google Document. Students who had finished had a study period. Woo!