1. Reading Guide check. Students had a few minutes to update their reading guides and review the chapters. Students will get a small homework grade for their reading guide completion.
2. Oral Quiz. Students answered random (important) questions about chapter 1.
3. Final paragraph analysis. I read aloud the final paragraph of the chapter to classes and we analyzed the potential symbolism
4. Character Motivation. Students brainstormed in pairs and then shared out the psychological motivations for Lennie and George. If they said “rabbits” as Lennie’s motivation, we pushed deeper into what state of mind rabbits brought about in Lennie (a state of calm, happiness, pleasure).
5. Guided Paragraph Writing. As a way to practice incorporating quotations and proving their points, students received a guided paragraph handout: OMM Character Analysis Paragraph Mad Lib. Then, students chose either paragraph format 1, 2, or 3 and wrote their own paragraph on a sheet of notebook paper. We will finish this tomorrow.
HW: Read Ch. 2 and Ch. 3 by Monday. 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th period To Kill a Mockingbird essay revisions due tomorrow.
Absentees: Show me your reading guide entries for Chapter 1 tomorrow to get credit. You will be exempt from this oral quiz.