Today, students were ready to turn in the final draft of their memoir (long-awaited day!).
1. Organizing Papers. Students got out their papers for this project and organized them like this:
- Final draft
- Reflection (on notebook paper)
- Complete rough draft
- Any checklist or to-do list from complete rough draft
- Writer’s Workshop #2, #3
- Any other random rough drafts
- Memoir Planning Sheet
2. Reflection. Students spent fifteen to twenty minutes answering the following questions about the writing process to help them reflect on their progress:
- What parts of your memoir are the best?
- What parts are you still not confident about?
- What literary techniques helped your writing most?
- Which literary techniques are you still not sure how to use well?
- What were the most difficult parts of the process?
- Tell about your Writer’s Workshop Group (or Partner). What did they do well? What more did you need from them?
- What did you think about the visiting editors (Duke students and upperclassmen)?
- What have you learned about writing?
- What grade would you give yourself on this project and why?
- If we could go back in time, what could we have done differently in class to make you more successful on this project? More time in the lab? More work on symbolism? More time in writing groups?