James McNeill Whistler’s Symphony in White No. 1 (1862)
Andrew Wyeth’s Winter 1946 (1946)
For each painting, answer the following questions. You do not need to use complete sentences.
1. Look at the painting for 5 minutes. As you do, write down everything you see.
You can do #2 and #3 as a T-chart:
2. What is rebellious, youthful, naive, or untrained about the image? Make a complete list.
3. What is respectful, mature, wise, or deferential about the image? Make a complete list.
4. How does the artist show the subject of the painting is coming of age or has come of age by understanding his/her identity and place in society?
5. Make a connection between this image and an excerpt from “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” or a moment from Billy Liar. Explain the similarity, difference, or connection you make. Use a piece of evidence (a quote from the poem, a specific detail from the film).