1. Rephrasing blank verse. Today, we first worked on rephrasing Shakespeare’s iambic pentameter. Students rewrote the syntax of the following sentences:
- What, drawn, and talk of peace? I hate the word…
- If ever you disturb our streets again…
- And Montague, come you this afternoon.
- O, where is Romeo, saw you him today?
- So early walking did I see your son.
2. Listening and reading. Next, we listened and read along to the rest of Act I, scene i. Students should read scenes 2, 3, 4, and 5 tonight for homework. (That’s all the rest of Act I).
HW: Read Romeo and Juliet, Act 1.
Listen here (start listening at 10:00, listen to 41:00). Be sure to read along as you listen.
To download the entire recording click here: iTunes or Complete File
Watch Act I:
Act I, scenes i and ii (Start at 1:10)
(beware: about 20 lines of scene i are omitted, 2 of scene ii are omitted)
Act I, scenes iii and iv.
Act I, scene v.