2. Cast of The Outsiders. Students cast their own friends and family as roles in The Outsiders as an exercise in connecting their lives to literature.
3. Oral Quiz on Chapters 5 and 6.
4. Comic Strip. Students created a comic strip of Chapters 5 and 6 with an emphasis on their motifs. This was turned in at the end of class.
HW: Read Chapter 7 of The Outsiders.
2. Riddle-writing. Students wrote their own riddles about something important in their lives.
3. Reading Chapter 6. Together we began reading chapter 6 of The Hobbit with a backchannel.
HW: Read Chapter 6 for tomorrow.
2. Oral Quiz on Chapter 6.
3. Societies of Middle Earth: Students split into groups to examine the different kinds of creatures in middle earth. Each group was responsible for analyzing the group (Wargs, Elves, Dwarves, etc.), coming up with a modern-day parallel, and finding an image that symbolically described the group’s values.
4. Reading Chapter 7. We read the beginning of Chapter 7 together, which students should read on their own for Thursday.
HW: Read Chapter 7 of The Hobbit and continue motif annotations.